railway station, circa 1907
This photo, looking south along the Illawarra rail line
was probably taken from the platform of a railway signal. The suburb of
Arncliffe, 11 kilometres south-west of the city, was originally the township
of Wincanton and at this time was an area of market gardens that supplied
much of Sydney (a tiny area of which remain). The level crossing was removed
decades ago, probably following quadruplication of the line.
The Illawarra line had reached the town of Nowra, on the South Coast,
where it still terminates, fourteen years before this photo was taken.
Starting in 1923, the line was quadruplicated as far as Hurstville. The
sturdy station buildings seen here are still in existence with the exception
of the weatherboard cottage in the right foreground (which probably accommodated
the stationmaster and his family) and the signal box just beyond the level
crossing. Nowadays, Arncliffe has a large population of migrants from
Macedonia and the south of Lebanon.