Cross, circa 1920
Looking north along what is now called Bronte Road (then called Leichhardt Street) towards Charing Cross a couple of years after the end of the First World War. Only one car is visible and pedestrians amble across the road with little fear of being run over. The street, like most suburban roads at this time, is rammed earth or gravel. A tram approaches in the middle distance.
Most of the buildings seen here remain today, but unfortunately without their fine collonaded awnings which psychologically defined the pedestrian space.