shot was taken from the Central Station clock tower looking southwest
across Railway Square (formerly Central Square), on a winter morning four
years after the end of the First World War. Marcus Clark & Co's two
department stores can be seen on the right labelled with a type
of three-dimensional gilded lettering that died out many decades ago in
Australia but still remains common in the UK. The firm's furniture showrooms
are to right centre on the west of the square. The stolid building on
the left was in those days a post office. In terms of transport, trams
dominate the street. But compare this view with the images of the square
circa 1908 and 1913.
Motor vehicles are now much more in evidence than horse-drawn vehicles.
Note the roadster lower left-centre with its spiffy white-wall tyres!
The University of Sydney's original quadrangle building can be seen on
the skyline. At this time, the city's underground railway loop was still
in the future and the precinct around Central Station hosted the major
players in the newfangled department store sector. After the construction
of the underground City Circle line, major retailing shifted north and
declined in the Central Station precinct. Marcus Clark's stores slid slowly
but relentlessly downhill and eventually succumbed.