powered by FreeFind

Locations of visitors to this page

Turrella, circa 1900

In the early 1900s, the locality of Turrella on the south bank of Wolli Creek (foreground) was an area of small farms supplying the Sydney market with pigs, poultry, eggs and vegetables. It lies 10 kilometres south-west of the city centre and just over the ridgeline – seen in the distance – from the growing suburb of Arncliffe. The house in the centre, Willowdene, was built in the mid 1860s by William Wentworth Bucknell, although a small older house built by Reuben Hannam, Governor Macquarie's master brickmaker, was used as its kitchen. Twenty years after this photo was taken the East Hills railway line was constructed along the Wolli Valley. Subdivision for residential housing followed.